Coming from a family of teachers and with a degree from one of the top education schools (tc.edu), it was only natural that John would want to share his hard earned musical knowledge with others. This he has done by developing two original courses at the New School University (newschool.edu), "Jazz and American Culture" and "The Golden Age of American Popular Song." Both are offered in the humanities department.
On a one-to-one basis, John has done extensive coaching of piano students and jazz vocalists. The approach is highly individualized, and each aspiring performer is encouraged to develop a style of their own.
Teaching & Workshops
- 1986-2009 New School University Adjunct lecturer in jazz history and the American Songbook
- 1993-94 YM-YMHA of Bergen County, NJ "The Big Band & Pop Singers 1920-1950"
- 1988-89 Ridgewood, NJ Library "American Popualr Music: The Great Composers"
- 1975-85 CUNY, NYC Techical College Adjunct Associate Professor of Jazz History
- 1974-75 Adelphi University "Jazz in The Elementary Classroom" - Workshop
- 1993-94 Piano Study - The Julliard School
- 1987-89 Music Theory - Manhattan School of Music
- 1981-83 Jazz Piano - John Mehegan
- 1975-78 Jazz Harmony - Marshall Brown
- 1970 Doctorate in Education - Columbia University